Monday 4 May 2009

1st May: CT Needle Biopsy

You have to drink disgusting iodine stuff before a CT scan - one bottle the night before, and one bottle, diluted, two hours before. At least this time I had some orange squash to make it more palatable!

But the CT scan/biopsy was a nightmare, mainly because they couldn't find a vein in my arm (only one arm can be used because lymph nodes in the other were all removed in 2001). After four stabbing and sticking attempts to insert the cannula in my arm and then hand I was nearly hysterical, and without Sheila, the marvellous CT nurse, I don't know what would have happened.

The rest of it was uncomfortable and briefly unpleasant but only a little painful. Because I'd been so pathetic I had to go to the recovery room for a cup of tea instead of going straight home like a normal person.

Ominously, I left with the warning that if they haven't managed to get a decent bit of the tumour to analyse, I'll have to come back for another go next week.

I certainly deserve my next trollbead.



No comments:

Post a Comment